Police surrounded flats in east London when a man barricaded himself in and threatened to blow up the block.
Nearby residents in Barking were forced to leave their homes after the man also threatened to burn down the building.
Fire and ambulance crews were called to Elsdown House, Wheelers Cross, late on Tuesday, although there were no injuries reported.
A man was later detained and was given medical treatment by paramedics at the scene, the Met Police said.
Evacuated residents, who had been told to go to The Gascoigne Community Centre, in St Ann’s, were later told they could return home.
The son of the UK’s first “successful” heart transplant patient 40 years ago has spoken about how his father “became a celebrity overnight”.
Keith Castle, then aged 52, lived for more than five years after surgery at Papworth Hospital, Cambridgeshire in August 1979.
His son, Keith Jnr, is meeting the surgeon Sir Terence English, 86, to mark the anniversary.
It signalled a new era for transplants and his father became a regular on TV.
Keith Jnr, who was 29 in 1979, said: “Perhaps that was naïve, but the way we saw it was quite simple, really – without the operation dad would have soon died.
“I remember his first words when he came round were along the lines of ‘did Fulham win on Saturday?’
“Dad became a celebrity overnight, really. People would always stop us in the street to talk about what happened.”
Londoner Mr Castle died in 1985, aged 58.
Retired surgeon Sir Terence said he struggled to get government support for the procedure.
“Before [Keith Castle’s] operation I’d been met with tremendous criticism about heart transplantation, including a letter from the Department for Health at the end of 1978 saying there would be no funding and the moratorium on heart transplantation would be continuing,” he said.
“I thought ‘damn that’ and managed to get approval from the Cambridge Area Health Authority – and we went ahead.”
He carried out a transplant on a first patient in January 1979, who survived for a few weeks, and Mr Castle was his second.
“Keith spent 28 days in isolation following the transplant and his success allowed us to generate more funding to ensure the heart transplant programme in the UK could become what it is today,” said Sir Terence.
Surgeons at Papworth have performed about 1,500 heart transplants, including 45 this year.
The hospital, now named the Royal Papworth, completed its move to Cambridge earlier this year.
A history of heart transplants
- The world’s first human-to-human heart transplant was carried out on Louis Washkansky in Cape Town on 3 December 1967, led by South African surgeon Christiaan Barnard. Mr Washkansky, 54, died of pneumonia 18 days later
- The first heart transplant in the UK, on 3 May 1968 was performed by surgeon Donald Ross. The recipient, Fred West, 45, survived for 45 days
- A spate of heart transplants in 1968 and 1969 with short survival rates led to a UK moratorium on the procedure
- Sir Terence English carried out the first heart transplant at Papworth in January 1979. The patient survived for 17 days
- In August 1979, Keith Castle became the first recipient to be discharged from hospital in the UK, living for more than five years
Huddersfield sacked head coach Jan Siewert an hour after losing at home to Fulham, with Ivan Cavaleiro’s superb goal securing victory over the struggling Terriers.
Huddersfield remain winless this season and Siewert had been under growing pressure following Tuesday’s home Carabao Cup defeat by League One Lincoln City.
The visitors had the better of an even first half and took the lead after the break when Juninho Bacuna’s horribly miscued clearance proved to be the perfect cross for Aleksandar Mitrovic to head home.
Town levelled when Karlan Grant’s header from Flo Hadergjonaj’s centre just crossed the line despite the attempts of Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli, but Cavaleiro won it with a wonderful curled finish from just inside the area.
Huddersfield, relegated from the Premier League alongside Fulham last season, have not won in any competition since February and have taken just one point from their first three games this season.
Grant’s header, awarded by the referee with the aid of goal line technology, had looked set to give them a second successive 1-1 draw.
But Wolves loanee Cavaleiro was afforded too much time after Town failed to deal with a looped Steven Sessegnon cross and the Portuguese forward showed his class to secure a second successive league win for Fulham.
Terriers goalkeeper Kamil Grabara had earlier made two good saves from Anthony Knockaert and the score would have been worse but for the performance of the Liverpool loanee.
Siewert said after Tuesday’s defeat by the Imps that he did not fear for his job, but his record stood at one win from his 19 matches when his departure was confirmed.
Huddersfield travel to fellow relegated side Cardiff on Wednesday, while Scott Parker’s side host Millwall on the same evening.
A teenager found dead in Malaysia after vanishing from a family holiday died from internal bleeding probably caused by prolonged hunger and stress, a post-mortem has revealed.
Nora Quoirin’s body was found beside a stream about 1.6 miles (2.5km) from the jungle resort of Dusun on Tuesday.
Malaysian Police said there was no suspicion of abduction or foul play.
The 15-year-old’s body was discovered following a 10-day search after she disappeared on 4 August.
The teenager died two or three days before she was found, police believe.
Nora was born with holoprosencephaly, a disorder which affects brain development, and had been described by her family as vulnerable.
Her parents had previously said they didn’t believe she would have wandered off alone and suspected she had been abducted.
Negeri Sembilan state police chief Mohamad Mat Yusop, said: “For the time being, there is no element of abduction or kidnapping.”
He said: “The cause of death was upper gastrointestinal bleeding due to duodenal ulcer, complicated with perforation.”
Further analysis would be carried out on samples taken from her body, he said, adding that Nora’s family was free to take her home.
Speaking after her body was found, Meabh and Sebastien Quoirin, Nora’s Irish-French parents, said their “hearts are broken” and paid tribute to their daughter as “the truest, most precious girl”.
They said Nora, who lived in London, had “truly touched the world” after her disappearance sparked a huge search operation in Malaysia and good wishes from across the globe.
A book of condolence was opened on Wednesday in Belfast, where Mrs Quoirin is from.
Nora Quoirin disappearance: Timeline
- 3 August: The Quoirins arrive at the Dusun forest eco-resort
- 4 August: Nora disappears from her room
- 5 August: The Lucie Blackman Trust says Malaysian police are treating Nora’s disappearance as a potential abduction, but officers deny any foul play is involved
- 6 August: Nora’s family say they believe she has been abducted
- 11 August: Malaysian police set up a hotline dedicated to receiving information about teenager
- 12 August: A reward of £10,000 – donated by an anonymous Belfast business – is made available for information leading to Nora’s safe return
- 13 August: A body is found in the search for Nora
A 16-year-old boy has been stabbed to death in north-west London.
Police officers and the London Ambulance Service were called to Munster Square in Camden at about 23:10 BST on Monday.
Scotland Yard said the victim was pronounced dead at the scene and no arrests have been made.
A murder investigation has been launched and a crime scene remains in place. The Met has urged witnesses to come forward.
A large police cordon stretching across a number of roads was in place on Tuesday morning.
Ola Ince is a south Londoner who is taking London’s theatre scene by storm.
The 30-year-old has directed a host of shows in the West End including Tina the Musical.
She is also not afraid to tackle controversial subjects that ask questions about race and gender.
Ms Ince addresses these issues in her latest project at the Donmar Warehouse.
A man has been charged with attempted murder and possessing an offensive weapon after a police officer was stabbed in the head in east London.
The PC was attacked as he tried to stop a van in Leyton early on Thursday. He managed to Taser his assailant while being stabbed in the head and body.
He suffered multiple injuries but the Met Police says he will recover.
Muhammed Rodwan, 56, from Luton, is due to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Two uniformed officers tried to stop the van at the junction of Coopers Lane and Leyton High Road, the Met said.
The injured PC, 28, is a patrol officer who has been with the force for about 10 years.
Speaking earlier, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the attack “underscores for me the bravery of our police, people who actually go towards danger to keep us safer”.
Two people have been jailed for life for murdering a teenager “in revenge” for another stabbing hours earlier.
Criminology student Hasan Ozcan, 19, died after being stabbed seven times near a sports court in Barking, east London, on 3 February 2019.
The Met said one of the defendants’ friends had been stabbed less than three hours earlier, and was injured.
Kareem Lashley-Weekes, 21, and a 16-year-old boy must serve a minimum of 24 and 19 years respectively.
The pair were convicted of murder and violent disorder following a trial at the Old Bailey.
Two other men were also convicted for violent disorder.
Police said they were alerted to Mr Ozcan at about 22:11 GMT by a member of the public who believed the teenager had been stabbed by boys on bicycles near a fenced sports court on Linsdell Road.
He had wounds to his chest, abdomen, left arm and both thighs and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Det Sgt Jake Ellis, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said Mr Ozcan’s family were nearby and “could only stand by as he was given first aid, which was ultimately in vain”.
Both Lashley-Weekes, of no fixed abode, and the 16-year-old, who cannot be named, were arrested a week later.
Det Sgt Ellis added: “This was an unnecessary loss of life and Hasan’s family have been left devastated. He was set upon and brutally attacked in the street in the most violent way.
“I do hope that today’s verdict brings a small measure of comfort to them as they continue to grieve.”
Kamaal Modest, 22, of Fairfield Close, Merton, was jailed for two years after being found guilty of violent disorder.
Jonathon Efionayi, 22, of Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, will be sentenced for violent disorder on Friday.
|Specsavers County Championship Division Two, Sophia Gardens, Cardiff (day two):|
|Middlesex 384 Malan 166; Carey 4-54 & 189-5 Robson 73*, Simpson 56|
|Glamorgan 171 Lloyd 67; Helm 5-53, Roland-Jones 4-45|
|Middlesex (7 pts) lead Glamorgan (3 pts) by 402 runs|
Middlesex have a formidable lead of 402 over Glamorgan at 189-5 in their second innings, going into day three in Cardiff.
Sam Robson (73*) and John Simpson (56) have strengthened the visitors’ grip.
Toby Roland-Jones (4-45) made the most of a helpful pitch as Glamorgan were hustled out for an inadequate 171.
David Lloyd’s 67 was the top home score, while Tom Helm (5-53) wrapped up the innings with his fifth wicket after his first-evening purple patch.
Lloyd shared half-century stands with Billy Root and Chris Cooke before the visitors’ seamers re-established control, as Glamorgan’s last five wickets mustered just 28 runs.
A lead of 213 runs was not enough to persuade Dawid Malan to enforce the follow-on, wanting to avoid batting last on the most bowler-friendly Championship pitch of the season in Cardiff.
Although Middlesex slumped to 85-4, they were never under pressure thanks to their first-innings lead, and the Robson-Simpson century partnership blossomed in the evening sunshine to grind down Glamorgan hopes of avoiding a first defeat of the campaign.
Glamorgan vice-captain David Lloyd told BBC Sport Wales:
“A very difficult day, they hit their lengths more regularly than we did, then we started well with the ball in the second dig but it’s always tough when you’re chasing the game.
“It’s a wicket where you have to be positive and get forward because it’s starting to go more up and down- it’s about looking to score rather than sit there and wait for things to happen.
“We’ve showed in previous games that we can battle draws out so you never know, we’ll have to try to bat the rest of the game and we can do it if we get our mindsets right.”
Middlesex bowler Tom Helm told BBC Radio London:
“It took a bit longer to get the fifth one than I had in my head last night, but Toby had four and I’m very happy with it.
“If you get the ball in the right area, the odd one zips through and it changed a bit from day one.
“There’s so long left in this game, we can bat for as long as we want and it’ll be interesting to see how the morning goes, they’ll come out fired up but we’ll see how we go.”
A woman riding an electric scooter has been killed in a crash with a lorry in south-west London.
The 35-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene at the Queen Circus roundabout, Battersea following the crash at about 08:30 BST.
A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman said her next of kin had yet to be informed and no arrests had been made.
In July last year a cyclist was killed at the roundabout after being hit by a bin lorry.
A London Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “We sent an advanced paramedic, two ambulance crews, an incident response officer and two medics in cars to the scene, with the first of our medics arriving in under four minutes.
“Sadly, despite the extensive efforts of medics, a woman died at the scene.”
Transport for London and Wandsworth Council redesigned the roundabout in 2015, which trialled the use of raised kerbs and separate traffic lights to keep cyclists and vehicles segregated at junctions.
Concerns had been raised that the new layout was too complicated.
While the cause of the crash is unknown, e-scooters are illegal to ride on public roads, including in cycle lanes or on the pavement.
A Department for Transport spokeswoman said: “We extend our deepest sympathies to all those involved in this tragic incident, and fully support the police as they carry out their investigations.
“Safety is at the heart of all our road laws and it is important that retailers continue to remind people at the point of sale that it is illegal to ride e-scooters on public roads.”
An electric scooter, or e-scooter, is similar to a traditional children’s scooter but has a motorised engine attached.